Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting Settled

Morning time in Tien Mu. Saturday was a beautiful day, but we were stuck inside most of the day waiting for the UPS driver to deliver our big computer. Here's the view again from my mom's apt downtown.



Breakfast our first day was fruit. Kumquats, Persimmon, Wax Apples and that grey mushy one is Cheramoya. I said it looks like brains...but it tastes like the brains of an Angel! Super sweet fragrant heavenly flavor. So we call it Angel brains now. The green bumpy thing on the right is what it looks like before it's peeled.


My mom's kitties.


Finally we gave up on the UPS driver and went up the mountain to see our place. Here's the stairway down to our apt.


Unpacking in our apt. Hurrah!!! Just like my mom's apt in town, everything is tile and marble. It's pretty cold here right now so it's chilly walking around on a marble floor when it's 50 degrees and there's no heater. But this should be really nice in the spring and summer time.
Running to catch the bus back into town. Dark and rainy. Couldn't see much in the dark. Can't wait to get back up there in daytime to check out the neighborhood.


Saw a poster for the new Studio Ghibli film getting off the MRT. The MRT is the big railway system in Taipei.


When we got back into town we ran across the breakfast spot that I went to my first day in Taiwan my first visit back in 2003. Jeremy had beef noodle soup.


And here's me enjoying my favorite bread thing with egg and onion and deep fried tofu stick. I can't remember what it's called in Chinese. Oooh soo good. My favorite food here. Chinese breakfast for dinner. YUM


Jeremy and I were up at 5am and decided to go for a walk to watch the sun rise. Walking along the river we came across this park with exercise equipment in it so you can do you work out watching the river.


Walking down the road looking for the path along the river.


Downtown Tien Mu as the sun comes up. This is Treasure Town! I love this city!!!














We finished up our morning walk with a stop at another Chinese breakfast shop.


Hot soy milk in a cup and another sesame bread and onion egg sandwich for me.


And a white bread and mini hot dog sandwich for Jeremy.


Fresh Ocean water??


Sunday was pretty gloomy and rainy. Still a pretty view over Tien Mu.


At noon on Sunday we walked down to a Mediterranean Restaurant called Shebaba to meet my mom's friends Sophy and Sarah for lunch.


Nice outdoor seating for people, and their pet cat!


A round of Taiwan beer for the three of us while we wait....ah.


Huge spread of food. Salads, Falafal, Hummus and baked chicken.


My mom's friend Sophy enjoying a falafel and some hot mint tea.



the sampler platter and some of the salads and pita. This was probably some of the best Mediterranean food I have EVER had. Really fresh and perfectly spiced. I was totally impressed. Sophy kept ordering more and more and more food. We got totally stuffed.


Jeremy's baked chicken plate.


Me with Sophy and her oldest daughter Amanda in the red, and Amanda's school mate on the left.
Soup Free For You!

Back at my mom's house, Jeremy is making friends with the kitties. Nap time in Jeremy's lap!


My mom giving me directions around town via the buses and the MRT system.
Bundled up against the cold as my mom heads off to teach a class.

After my mom took off we did a bit of shopping around Tien Mu. Electronics are super cheap in Tiawan. We picked up a wireless router for $35, and were looking at the new iPhone 4. Looks like you can get one for about $120 on a two year contract, and the carrier is only $43 per month for minutes and 4G Network! Flippin sweet! Only drawback is you have to pay for a year's service up front...but still. Keep your eye out for new phone numbers and a Skype number. With the iPhone 4 I think we can get a plan to Skype to the US and get phone calls to our new cell numbers here. Woot woot!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Love the photos! And the food looks yummy! Love the pics of Jeremy and the kitties! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I live vicariously through you two! It looks so fun and awesome!!! Looove the Ghibli socks! So cute! And those HK boy shorts, too. ;)

    Craig tried to create a profile and leave a comment for you guys, too but it wouldn't work. If you see one under Craig and Stella, that's him!

    ReplyDelete